Offices Closed for In-Person Transactions

Hide Featured Image


Our county buildings continue to be closed to the public, but we are open for business. All County Clerk and Recorder business can be handled online, through the mail, or over the phone. Vehicle renewals can be mailed or dropped off in the drop boxes that are curbside in front of our buildings in both Salida and Buena Vista.

Salida location: 104 Crestone Avenue
Buena Vista location: 112 Linderman Avenue

Even private party vehicle transactions can be handled over the phone and by mail. Visit for these online services:

  • registration fee estimator
  • request a title status
  • get a transaction receipt
  • add/change a vehicle address
  • first time registration
  • request a duplicate registration card
  • replace tabs
  • request a title/registration history report
  • renew your registration.

For help with motor vehicle transactions please call 719-539-4004 for the Salida office and 719-395-8296 for the Buena Vista office. We have a high volume of calls but please leave a message and we will return your call.

Reminder: We do not do driver’s licenses in our County offices.




  1.  ONLINE:  via as stated on your Renewal Notice postcard.  You will need your plate number and the last 8 digits of your VIN.  However, if you need to provide insurance (as indicated on your Renewal Notice postcard) you will NOT be able to utilize this option. 
  2. BY DROP BOX:  Drop off your renewal card and payment, with proof of insurance if needed, in the Drop Boxes located outside the motor vehicle offices in Salida and Buena Vista. Make sure this information is in a sealed envelope. PLEASE DON’T INCLUDE CASH. 
  3. BY MAIL:  Send the Renewal Notice postcard, payment (check or money order), and copy of proof of insurance (when indicated on Renewal Notice postcard) to the address listed on the upper left on the upper corner of the Renewal Notice postcard.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.

Make check payable and mail to:

Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder

PO Box 699

Salida, CO  81201

For more information, or if you’ve lost your renewal card and need to know if you need to provide proof of insurance, go to or call our Motor Vehicle Office at 719-539-4004 or in Buena Vista call 719-395-8296.


Recording Department

For recordings, we are accepting recordings by mail or e-recordings. The most efficient way to record a document now is to e-record. Call 719-530-5602 or email for more details.

You may search all Chaffee County recorded documents for free. Sign up at Call 719-530-5602 or email for more details.

Click here for the April 2 Marriage License COVID-19 Service Update.