Motor Vehicle Department


Please use online services at MyDMV.Colorado.gov if at all possible.



New Online Services

Now you can complete many tasks online.

Go to the DMV website to do any of the following:

  • Add/change a vehicle address
  • Renew a vehicle registration
  • Submit a first time vehicle registration – If you have purchased a new vehicle from a dealer and you have a loan, the dealer will send our office the paperwork. Once we have processed your paperwork, we will mail you a postcard called a title complete notice. Use the notice to register your vehicle for the first time.
  • Request a duplicate title
  • Estimate registration fees
  • Request a duplicate registration card
  • Apply or manage your disability placards
  • Get a transaction receipt
  • Check a title status

VIN Verification Sheet

Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney

Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship


Proof of Insurance Requirements

  • Vehicles must be covered by auto insurance before they can be registered.
  • If state records indicate a vehicle is not insured in Colorado, proof of insurance must be provided.
  • Insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company’s letterhead including a description of the vehicle with the following: year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), effective date and expiration of the policy.
  • Insurance must be Colorado Insurance

Questions about Proof of Insurance for Registration Renewals

Even if you have provided proof of insurance in the past, you may be asked to provide it again if your insurance carrier has not transmitted data for your proof of insurance to the State of Colorado.

Insurance companies are required by law to provide necessary information on their policy holders to the State database by the seventh day of each month.

If your insurance company has not submitted this information in time, you will need to provide proof of insurance to our office by mail, fax, in-person or by email attachment displayed on a smartphone in our office, before your registration can be renewed.

Contact your insurance company to provide proper verification.

**Note: The effective date on your insurance document must be current (i.e. the coverage can’t start on a day in the future.)

***New Law: You must have Colorado Insurance to register your vehicle, even for residents just moving into the State.

List of IDs that are accepted at our offices