Special Events Liquor Permits


A Special Event Permit authorizes the sale of alcohol beverages, by the drink, to the public at locations where such sale or consumption is not normally permitted.

There are two types of Special Events Permits:

  • Malt, vinous and spirituous liquor
  • Beer

In order to qualify for a special events permit, an organization must be nonprofit AND one of the following:

  • Social
  • Patriotic
  • Political
  • Athletic
  • Chartered branch
    lodge or chapter of a
    national organization or society
  • Religious institution
  • Philanthropic institution
  • Political candidate
  • Municipality which owns an arts facility

Steps in applying for a special events liquor permit:

  • Complete the Special Events Permit application (DR8439), supplied by the clerk’s office or available at the Colorado Liquor Enforcement web site.
  • Contact county Community Development for a Temporary Use Permit Application.
  • Contact county Environmental Health regarding a food service license (There is a requirement to serve sandwiches or other food snacks).
  • The complete application including supporting documents and one copy of the complete application must be submitted to the clerk’s office at least thirty (30) days prior to the event.
  • The Clerk and Recorder will schedule a hearing with the Board of Commissioners and notify you of the hearing date. At least 10 days prior to the hearing, the County Clerk will post the premises to be licensed with a notice of the public hearing with the Board of County Commissioners.
  • Appear before the Board of County Commissioners at a public hearing at which time the application will be considered.
  • If the application is approved by the county, it is sent to the state for review. The county-approved application must be received by the state at least 10 days prior to the event.
  • If the state licensing authority approves the application, the applicant will receive a permit to conspicuously display on the licensed premises.

The following items must be submitted with the application:

  • The application requires the state sales tax number. Note: this is not the tax exempt number that begins with 98-xxxxxx.
  • Diagram of the area to be licensed (not larger than 8 ½ ” x 11″ reflecting bars, walls, partitions, ingress, egress and dimensions). If the event is to be held outside, please submit evidence of intended control, i.e., fencing, ropes, barriers, etc. The area of intended use is to be contiguous and outlined in red. Copy of deed, lease, or written permission of owner for use of the premises.
  • The corporation’s Certificate of Good Standing (nonprofit) issued by the Colorado Secretary of State within the last two years or, if not incorporated, a nonprofit charter; or, if a political candidate, copies of reports and statements that were filed with the Secretary of State.
  • Notarized affidavit stating that notice was posted ten (10) days prior to hearing.
  • An affidavit of Acknowledgement of contact with the county Community Development Department regarding a Temporary Use Permit.
  • An affidavit of Acknowledgement of contact with the County Environmental Health Department regarding a food service license.
  • An e-mail from the County Sheriff stating that they have no objections to the event. The Clerk and Recorder will be responsible for this.
  • Appropriate fees