Marriage Licenses and Civil Union Licenses

COVID-19 Marriage License Service Update

As a result of Governor Polis’s Executive Order D 2020 014 for Colorado residents only, the Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder is temporarily issuing marriage licenses through application by mail. Please follow the instructions below.

Step 1: Complete the Application: Fill in your information in the marriage application and checklist.

Step 2: Sign the Application: Print out the application. Each respective party needs to sign on the Party One and Party Two lines.

Step 3: Identification: Make photocopies of your valid identification such as Driver’s License issued in the United States, Passport, Military ID, or State-issued ID Card.

Step 4: Payment: Please write a check or money order payable to the Chaffee County Clerk for $30.

Step 5: Other documentation: A divorce decree is needed if either party finalized a divorce in the last 30 days. A Judicial Order is needed if either party is age 16 or 17.

Step 6: Mail documentation: Send required documentation and payment to: Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder, PO Box 699, Salida, Colorado, 81201.

Step 7: Sign the Marriage License: Once you receive the marriage license in the mail, please follow the instruction for self-solemnization. Once the marriage license is completed, please mail it back to the Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder’s office.

To apply for a marriage or civil union license, both you and your intended partner must appear in person at the Clerk’s office located at the Chaffee County Courthouse, 104 Crestone Ave, Salida.

HOURS TO APPLY FOR A LICENSE ARE 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.  (Office is closed for County holidays.)

Save time when you come in for your license by filling out your license application ahead of time.

You must be able to provide the following to obtain a marriage license:
  • Provide the date that you are getting married. (The license is good for 35 days.)
  • Tell whether you are getting married in the State of Colorado (license only valid in this state)
  • Tell whether you have been married before and if you are widowed or divorced and be able to provide the exact date and location of your divorce or spouse’s death. Both partners must be able to provide this information.  (Copies of divorce papers are not required.)
  • If you are related by blood, be sure to state how you are related.
  • Provide the names of both parents for each applicant.
  • Provide the city and state where parents of both parties are currently located.
  • Be able to answer how you are marrying. Judge? Religious? Self-solemnization?
  • You must have $30.00 cash. Credit cards and checks are not accepted.

You and your intended spouse each must present one of these valid forms of identification:
  • U.S. state-issued driver’s license or permit
  • U.S. state -issued ID
  • U.S. military ID
  • Passport that is bilingual or multilingual and includes English or passport with a certified English language translation if non-English

Note: The name on the license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.

Additionally, if you have a Social Security number you are required to provide it per Colorado Revised Statute 14-14-113. If either partner does not have a SS# (they are from another country, or they are in the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship) they are not required to have one to get married. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please download and fill out this affidavit. The affidavit requires notarization.